Check out some of the top sports moments for the Feb. 27 edition of the Palm Coast Observer!
- Flagler Palm Coast's boys wrestling team hadn't won a district title since 2015. That all changed Friday, Feb. 21, as the Bulldogs captured the 3A-District 2 championship at FPC High School. The Bulldogs advanced 13 wrestlers to next week’s Region 1 tournament at Fleming Island. Drew Dance, Kyle Peacock, Blane DeFord and Timothy King all took first place in their respective weight classes.
- Matanzas took home the District 4-2A championship at Matanzas High School. Ethan Goodman, Shaun Culbreth, George Joanos, Sam Russo, Griffin Wilder, Noel Alicea, Quenteen Robinson and Robert Elder won their weight classes, and five other Pirates qualified for the regional tournament, held at Tallahassee Chiles.
- FPC football's Nick Redding, who played cornerback for the Bulldogs, announced that he is committed to playing college football at United States Military Academy at West Point, which is an NCAADivision I program.
- A pair of former Matanzas football players will be playing at the NCAA Division II level next season. Josef Powell and Branden Gilyard, who graduated from MHS last year, announced that they will be transferring to Kentucky Wesleyan College. Located in Owensboro, the Panthers compete as an independent team.
- FPC linebacker Corey Vandyke announced that he received an invitation to the Wake Forest University Junior Day, held on April 4.