Also in Your Town: Pro-life march in Flagler Beach.
In January, a group of Flagler County homeschoolers found a pelican trapped by a fishing line while they were strolling the beach for sand dollars. Upon closer inspection, they found the fishing line around the bird’s neck and hooked into his wing. He was also stuck to three other birds who were strangled with the same line, said Mindy Hoffmann. They called help and animal control. Neighbors freed the bird and drove him to an animal hospital where they were told he will make a full recovery. The students involved were: Brooklynn, Chloe, Dallen, Mara and Anderson Hoffmann, Josh Fallon, Emma Finn, Aram, Oli and Elon Anderson, Leon and Londond Streeter, Will and Whitley Boone, Brooklynn Roberge, Wade Farmer; and adults Jim and Debbie Hogan, Dena Finn and Tami Padilla, who helped free the bird and transport him to the hospital.
Also in Your Town:
Pro-life march in Flagler Beach
Knights of Columbus Council 10514 and the Santa Maria del Mar Respect Life Committee participated in a pro-life march at the church in Flagler Beach on Saturday, Jan. 19. Knights of Columbus Pro-Life Chairman Duane Berreth and Respect Life Committee President Janice Berreth coordinated the planning for this event. Corpus Christi Assembly 2810 4th Degree Color Corp lead the marchers. Father Jim May led a pro-life rosary from the St. Joseph Statue to the Marian statue at Parish Hall and back.
Be fire smart during winter weather
As Flagler County experiences cold temperatures this week, the Palm Coast Fire Department urges residents to be fire smart with these safety tips:
- Keep space heaters at least 3 feet from anything that can burn, including people
- Make sure the area around the fireplace is clear of anything that is potentially flammable (ie: furniture, drapes, newspapers, books, etc.)
- Generators should be used outside only, and be sure to place them away from windows and doors. If using a generator, install carbon monoxide alarms and test monthly.
- Likewise, never use a grill indoors. Fuel-burning devices release carbon monoxide, which is a deadly gas.
- Plug only one heat-producing appliance, such as a space heater, into an electric outlet at a time.
- For fireplaces, be certain the damper or flue is open before starting a fire, and don’t close the damper until the embers have completely stopped burning.
- The chimney should be checked annually by a professional. Even if the chimney is not due for cleaning, it is important to check for animal nests or other blockages that could prevent smoke from escaping.
- Never leave a fire in the fireplace unattended. Make sure it is completely out before going to bed or leaving the house.
- Install both smoke and carbon monoxide detectors. Test them monthly and change the batteries at least twice a year.
- Communicate to children as early as possible the dangers of fires and the heat generated from them.
- Keep a fire extinguisher on hand.
For more information, call the Palm Coast Fire Department at 986-2300.