The Antonio Amaral Foundation has awarded 235 scholarships totaling $379,500.
By: Maria Elizabeth Frazao Pereira
The Antonio Amaral Foundation celebrated its 16th annual scholarship ceremony on Saturday, June 11, recognizing 10 students who received a total of $23,000 this year.
This year's recipients and their academic majors are:
- Raquel Elisa Torrão, 19, studying accounting at the University of Tampa
- Natalie Ann Kehle, 19, studying education at Florida Atlantic University
- Briana C. Esteves, 20, studying interior design at Seminole State College
- Victor Ryan Torrão, 21, studying food and beverage service management at Johnson & Wales University in Charlotte, North Carolina
- Destiny Gonçalves, 21, studying nursing at Daytona State College
- Nicole Nabiço, 21, studying education at University of Central Florida
- Brittany Sebastião, 18, entering Florida Atlantic University to study business management
- Tanner Paulo, 17, entering University of North Florida to study sports medicine to then pursue physical therapy
- Annalisa Emilia Pereira, 20, studying business administration at Capella University Florida
- Serinna Meister, 21, studying for a masters in accounting and finance at Jacksonville University
Mayor David Alfin and Sheriff Rick Staly addressed recipients with a few inspiring words, and School Board members Janet McDonald and Jill Woolbright, as well as Funcionário da Embaixada e Consulado Espaço Portugal, João Queimado, joined in as well.
Including Saturday's awards and $1,000 that was previously awarded to local high schools, the Antonio Amaral Foundation has awarded 235 scholarships totaling $379,500.