Also in Sidelines: Bulldogs come close in Bobcat Classic, Matanzas cross country competes in FSU Invitational in Tallahassee and a 14-year-old boy catches slammer largemouth bass along the Intracoastal.
Pirates football picks up fourth straight win
After letting a weak Nease team hang around till late in the game nearly a week ago, the Matanzas Pirates were in a similar situation against New Smyrna Beach.
It wasn't until senior defensive back Devin Mathews returned an interception 40 yards into the end zone in the fourth quarter that the Pirates finally had some breathing room.
With an outstanding defensive showing, Matanzas (4-1) took down the Barracudas 21-14 at Matanzas High School on the night of Friday, Oct. 6. The Pirates' defense picked off four passes by the Barracudas' signal caller and scored two touchdowns, including Mathews' game-clinching interception. It was also Mathews' birthday.
Up next, the Pirates travel to take on traditional powerhouse Mainland at Mainland High School on Friday, Oct. 13, at 7 p.m. The Buccaneers (2-3) are coming off of 21-7 loss to Cocoa.
Bulldogs cross country comes close at Bobcat Classic
The Flagler Palm Coast cross country team traveled to Gainesville on Saturday, Oct. 6, to compete in the 18th-annual Bobcat Classic. The girls team came in second place to Buchholz High School, losing by a score of 65-32. The boys team also finished in second place, losing to George M. Steinbrenner High School 63-42.
Individually, girls runner Ayanna Fulton won her race, finishing with a time of 20:46.34. Shawn Gordon was the top runner for the boys, finishing in third place with a time of 17:27.05.
- 1st: Ayanna Fulton, 20:46.34
- 8th: Ally Walters, 22:57.98
- 22nd: Matilda Vevera, 24:38.80
- 25th: Haley Olsen, 25:13.86
- 28th: Zoe Putney, 25:44.48
- 3rd: Shawn Gordon, 17:27.05
- 5th: Seth Peters, 17:38.37
- 15th: Allen Roberson, 18:22.20
- 21st: Eduardo Lopez, 18:49.90
- 24th: Connor Reckenwald, 19:01.03
Pirates cross county competes in FSU Invitational
The Matanzas cross country team traveled to the state capital, Tallahassee, to compete in the FSU Invitational on Friday, Oct. 6.
The girls team finished 14th out of 25, and the boys team finished 18th out of 30.
- 29th: Morgan Sharman, 21:06.80
- 32nd: Rain Marti, 21:11.70
- 62nd: Kelly Steffens, 21:49.40
- 105th: Cassandra Hunter, 22.38.10
- 109th: Lexie Hawkins, 22:45.30
- 37th: Douglas Gray, 17:55.30
- 56th: Dalton Hawley, 18:13.50
- 97th: Jared Gasper, 18:48.70
- 99th: David Wilcox, 18:51.20
- 145th: Hunter Perez, 19:23.10
Bass master: Teen reels in large largemouth
Fourteen-year-old Aiden Miner caught a 7-pound largemouth bass while fishing along the Intracoastal on Saturday, Oct. 7.