Also in the Observer: Bulldogs girls relay takes first in 4x400; Belanger tosses no-hitter in 17-0 win over Mainland.
Matanzas' boys and girls track teams competed at the FSU Relays on March 23-24 in Tallahassee. The girls team set a school record in the 800-meter sprint medley relay, and junior Jacob Miley set school records in the 400-meter dash, 800-meter run and 1,600-meter run. Here is a list of the Pirates' top-10 finishers in each event.
- 3,200-meter run: Kelly Steffens 11:41.14 (4th)
- 800-meter sprint medley relay: Matanzas 1:54.15 (6th)
- 400-meter dash: Jacob Miley 49.89 (8th)
- 800-meter run: Miley 1:52.95 (3rd)
- 1,600-meter run: Miley 4:29.89 (1st)
Pair of Flagler County lifters take first at regional meet
Spruce Creek captured the team title for the Region 4-2A title on the afternoon of Wednesday, March 21, at Spruce Creek High School, but Flagler County still managed to have an impact on the meet. Flagler Palm Coast lifter Richard Pham won the 129-pound division with a 470 total, and Matanzas’ Skyelar Williams-Michaud came out on top in the 199-pound class with a 555 total.
Bulldogs girls relay takes first in 4x400
Flagler Palm Coast's boys and girls track teams competed against 73 other teams at the Pre-State at UNF meet on Saturday, March 24, at the University of North Florida in Jacksonville. Here is a list of the Bulldogs' top-10 finishers in each event.
- 200-meter dash: Summer Wells 25.97 (5th), Namiah Simpson 26.58 (10th)
- 400-meter dash: Wells 58.05 (3rd), Courtney Gales 58.66 (5th), Simpson 58.86 (6th)
- 100-meter hurdles: Skye Green 16.05 (10th)
- 4x400-meter relay: FPC 4:01.37 (1st)
- 4x800-meter relay: FPC 10:00.15 (3rd)
- 200-meter dash: Darrell Thomas 22.96 (6th)
- 400-meter dash: Thomas 50.38 (5th)
- 800-meter run: Shawn Gordon 1:59.75 (5th)
- 2,000-meter steeplechase: Levi Burton 7:16.28 (9th)
- 4x400-meter relay: FPC 3:28.86 (2nd)
- Triple jump: Bryan Jones 12.6 meters (6th)
- Shot put: Nelson Paul 14.44 meters (6th)
Belanger tosses no-hitter in 17-0 win over Mainland
Pirates’ pitcher Grace Belanger struck out the Buccaneers’ Elizabeth Coffing, preserving Belanger’s no-hitter in the 17-0 win over Mainland on Monday, March 26, at Mainland High School.
The Pirates recorded 14 runs in the second inning. Savannah Evans, Alexia Moy, Jessica Rodrigues, Alyssia Paiz, Isabella Santiago and Nikolena Perrine each had RBIs in the frame. Matanzas also launched three home runs on the day. Santiago carried the fence in the first inning, and Paiz and Cassandra Veilleux went long in the second inning.
As for Belanger, she pitched three innings, allowing zero runs on zero hits, striking out five and walking one.
(Leading Hitters: Paiz went 2-for-3 with 1-HR and 1-3B, Evans went 2-for-2 with 2-1B, Moy went 1-for-2 with 1-1B and 3SB.)