Also in the Observer: Apex Warriors eight-man youth football team advanced to conference finals; Lady Pirates take second at district meet; Bulldog signs letter of intent.
Flagler Palm Coast's girls flag football team got its signature win of the season with a 15-14 victory over Seabreeze on the night of Tuesday, April 17, at the Ormond Beach Sports Complex.
After falling behind 14-0 in the second quarter, the Bulldogs responded with a touchdown before the end of the first half. After a scoreless fourth quarter, the Bulldogs got on the board again when Seabreeze's quarterback fumbled the snap into her own end zone, resulting in a safety.
FPC's Breaza Robinson scored the winning touchdown off a tipped ball with 38.7 seconds left in the game.
"She was outstanding tonight," FPC coach Jim Gambone said of Robinson. "She's always making clutch plays for us."
Apex Warriors eight-man youth football team advanced to conference finals
The Apex Warriors, a youth eight-man spring football team in Flagler County, are set to compete in the Eastern Conference Finals in Titusville after taking down New Smyrna 30-0 on Sunday, April 15. The Warriors completed the season with a 7-0 record, averaging 32.14 points per game and surrendering zero points throughout the entire season. In addition, the Warriors only gave up five first downs the whole season (1.4 per game).
Lady Pirates take second at district meet
The Pirates’ boys and girls track teams competed in the Class 3A District 6 meet on April 14 at Matanzas High School. The girls finished in second place as a team behind Mainland. Here are the results:
- 100-meter dash: Cadaen Wilds 13.33 (4th)
- 400-meter dash: Ja’dashia Catlin 1:01.76 (1st), Oryiah Clayton 1:04.15 (3rd)
- 800-meter run: Rain Marti 2:34.78 (2nd)
- 1,600-meter run: Kelly Steffens 5:41.18 (1st), Marti 5:41.55 (2nd), Morgan Sharman 6:03.83 (4th)
- 3,200-meter run: Steffens 12:25.75 (1st), Sharman 12:55.07 (2nd)
- 100-meter hurdles: Shanell Pusey 17.21 (1st)
- 300-meter hurdles: Pusey 50.30 (2nd), Otyana Clayton 50.88 (3rd)
- 4x100-meter relay: Relay Team 51.38 (2nd)
- 4x400-meter relay: Relay Team 4:21.65 (1st)
- 4x800-meter relay: Relay Team 10:30.05 (2nd)
- Triple jump: Maya Felton 9.7 meters (1st)
- Pole vault: Rose Riley 2.31 meters (2nd), Reece Villaverde 2.31 meters (3rd)
- Shot put: Adrianna Brandt 8.82 meters (3rd)
- 800-meter run: Jacob Miley 1:57.24 (1st)
- 1,600-meter run: Miley 4:42.15 (3rd)
- 4x400-meter relay: Relay Team 3:49.03 (3rd)
- 4x800-meter relay: Relay Team 8:39.20 (2nd)
- Discus: Seaton Waldhauer 38.28 meters (2nd)
- Shot put: Waldhauer 13.33 meters (1st)
Bulldog signs letter of intent
The Bulldogs’ Ethan Brady signed his letter of intent to play football for the United States Merchant Marine Academy. Brady, who was a three-year starter on the varsity team, is set to graduate with a 4.5 GPA. He plans to study marine engineering in college.