Sheriff: 34 guns stolen from 17 vehicles since in past 19 months; only seven guns recovered
The following is an adpated press release from the Flagler County Sheriff's Office:
Since Jan. 1, 2014, 34 firearms were stolen from vehicles in the Flagler County area. Of the 34, only seven have been recovered. The value of the guns stolen has been estimated to be more than $16,500.
Citizens are again reminded to take the extra time to lock their vehicles, place valuables out of sight and remove weapons when the vehicle is left unattended for an extended period of time.
Deputies have recently responded to numerous complaints of vehicle break-ins throughout the county. In most incidents reported, vehicles were left unlocked and valuable items were left in plain sight. And in some cases, criminals have used a tool or have smashed their way into vehicles. Although suspects are arrested, gun owners have a responsibility to keep their guns safe and secure.
Citizens are urged to follow the listed crime prevention tips:
- Remove all valuables from the interior of your vehicle. Cameras, computers, purses, wallets and other electronics should be locked in the trunk or secured out of sight. This includes the safe storage of firearms.
- Always lock your vehicle and activate the alarm, if installed.
- Park in well-lit areas when possible.
- Join a neighborhood crime watch group.
- Report suspicious activity immediately by calling 911. For more crime prevention tips, call the FCSO’s Community Outreach Unit at 386-586-2623.
Citizens with information about any crime in Flagler County may contact the Flagler County Sheriff’s Office Investigative Services Division at 386-586-4801, or remain anonymous and be eligible for a reward by calling Crime Stoppers at 1-888-277-8477 (TIPS).