Skip to main content
Samuel Paul Foy (Courtesy photo)
Palm Coast Tuesday, May 5, 2015 4 years ago

Man threatens teens with gun for 'making noise' at hotel

by: Jonathan Simmons News Editor

A group of teens staying at the Red Roof Inn the night of May 3 for the State Cup Soccer Tournament were threatened by an armed man screaming at them to “shut up” and stop making noise in the hallway, according to Sheriff’s Office reports.

The call came in to the Sheriff’s Office at about 12:16 a.m., from a hotel employee who said a man armed with a handgun was complaining about children making noise.

The employee told a deputy who arrived at the hotel that he’d heard “screaming” in a hallway, and went to search for the problem.

He found a hotel guest — 35-year-old Samuel Paul Foy — “standing in the doorway of his hotel room ‘hollering’ at five to six teenagers” and holding a holstered pistol, according to the deputy’s report.

The deputy spoke with Foy, a Gainesville, Georgia resident who checked in at the hotel May 2, while a second deputy retrieved the gun from a suitcase in Foy's hotel room.

Foy “said that the teenagers were constantly making noise,” according to the deputy’s statement. Another part of Foy's statement is redacted in the deputy’s report, as is common with statements that are self-incriminating.

Foy did not have a concealed weapons permit.

One of the teenagers who was threatened, a 15-year-old, told the deputy that he and the other teens were walking in the hallway when Foy yelled at them, saying “Shut the (expletive) up, I’m tired of this (expletive).”

The boys saw the gun and ran as fast as they could out of the hotel.

The deputies interviewed two other teens who gave similar accounts of what happened. One said that Foy continued yelling as they ran off, and that they “hid near bushes across the street,” according to the deputy’s report.

Deputies arrested Foy on three counts of aggravated assault with a deadly weapon and one county of using or displaying a weapon during the commission of a felony.

He was held on a combined $10,000 bond, but had been released by the afternoon of Tuesday, May 5.


Related Stories