This is the sixth time in seven years that FPL has won the reliability award.
by: George Bennett
Florida Power & Light Co.
Florida Power & Light Co. has received the ReliabilityOne National Reliability Award, presented by PA Consulting, for the sixth time in seven years.
“We are thrilled and humbled to be recognized again as the most reliable energy provider in the nation,” said Eric Silagy, president and CEO of FPL. “Everything we do is aimed at providing clean, affordable and reliable electricity to the more than 5.6 million customers we serve across Florida who depend on us each day.
"Following the devastating 2004 and 2005 hurricane seasons, our team has worked tirelessly to build the nation’s most intelligent and reliable energy grid. Our customers have benefited from millions of interruptions avoided, faster restorations during severe weather and a more than 40% improvement in service reliability since 2011.”
FPL has invested more than $5 billion to strengthen the energy grid since the historic hurricane seasons of 2004-2005, including:
- Hardening main power lines that serve critical community facilities and services.
- Inspecting 100% of distribution power poles and replacing those that no longer meet FPL's industry-leading standards for strength (approximately 150,000 poles inspected annually).
- Replacing wooden transmission structures with new ones made of steel or concrete; 99% of transmission structures have been replaced and, by 2022, 100% will be steel or concrete.
- Installing more than 5 million smart meters and 170,000 intelligent devices to help monitor and manage the grid; detect and prevent power outages; and minimize restoration times when outages occur.
- Maintaining trees and other vegetation along 15,000 miles of power lines each year.
The ReliabilityOne National Reliability Award is decided primarily on statistics that measure frequency and duration of customer outages, along with other criteria measures.
The award is widely regarded in the energy industry as one of the most prestigious honors, reinforcing a company’s commitment to reliable service for its customers.
In addition to the National Reliability Award, FPL also won PA Consulting’s Outstanding Reliability Performance Award for the Southeast metropolitan region for the eighth consecutive year; the Outstanding Technology & Innovation Award for the fifth time in eight years; and the Outstanding System Resiliency Award for the first time ever.
It also received the Personal Achievement Award for outstanding contribution to reliability. The award went to Joe Suarez, a 40-year FPL employee, who leads the company’s Fleet Services unit. Gulf Power Company, who joined forces with FPL in 2019, also won the Outstanding Reliability Performance Award in the Southeast suburban/rural service area for the second consecutive year.