Don’t forget about the ‘little’ sports
Football is back!
Are you excited? I’m excited.
The electricity buzzed throughout the crowd of each game. The season-opener between FPC and Matanzas was perhaps the most breathtaking.
The passion for football in Flagler and Volusia counties is real. It’s a sight to witness and something to be admired. And I don’t blame you if you can’t wait for the start of the 2018 season.
But don’t forget about the “little” sports.
In my experience, volleyball, golf, swimming and cross country have never drawn big crowds, despite the area boast- ing highly skilled teams in each sport. Matanzas cross country advanced to states last year. FPC freshman Micayla Cronk won a state title 100-yard freestyle. And Spruce Creek volleyball went 21-7. Among others.
So mark your calendars. Here are some upcoming games:
- Volleyball: Seabreeze at 6 p.m. Aug. 22 at FPC
- Boys golf: Matanzas at 3 p.m. Aug. 21 at Palm Harbor Golf Club
- Girls golf: University at 3:30 p.m. Aug. 21 at Palm Harbor Golf Club
- Swimming: New Smyrna Beach at 4:30 p.m. Aug. 30 at Aqua Park
- Cross country: Spike and Spurs at 7:30 a.m. Aug. 25 at the Fair- grounds
- Volleyball: FPC at 6:30 p.m. Aug. 30 at MHS
- Boys golf: Pedro Menendez at 3 p.m. Aug. 28 at Palm Harbor Golf Club
- Girls golf: Father Lopez at 3 p.m. Aug. 22 at Palm Harbor Golf Club
- Swimming: Palatka at 5 p.m. Aug. 28 at Putnam
- Cross country: Pancake Classic at 7 a.m. Aug. 18 at MHS