Former coach at Matanzas High School called Gray a "great teammate."
The Flagler County Sheriff’s Office responded to Palm Coast Laundry, located at 4845 Belle Terre Parkway in Palm Coast, shortly after 12:30 a.m. Saturday, April 13. Deputies found Curtis Israel Gray, 18, with a gunshot wound. He was immediately airlifted to a trauma hospital, according to a news release by the FCSO, and he later died.
FCSO detectives and deputies are actively investigating the incident and following all leads, according to a press release.
This is believed to be an isolated incident and there is no immediate danger to the community.
“This is a very sad day for the families of those involved and we are following all leads to find out exactly what happened,” Sheriff Rick Staly said in a release.
Gray was a football player for Matanzas High School in 2018. He was on the track team this year at Flagler Palm Coast High School.
Former Matanzas football coach Robert Ripley tweeted on April 13: "No words. Prayers to you and yours. Parents hug your kids. Pirates grow tighter and keep each other safe. #prayersforCG8"
Ripley later wrote in a Twitter message: "He was a great young man a hard worker and a great teammate. His smile and ability to make others laugh made him that guy that everyone wanted around. Battled some injuries but came to practice everyday and was always willing to do the extra stuff to make us better."
Others who tweeted in reponse to Gray's death:
- Former Matanzas teammate Andrew Bodison tweeted: "Not lil Curt man... #LLC"
- Former teammate Mackenzy Wagner: "Rest in paradise lil bro u deserve so much better than this, but i know god taking care of u on the other side."
- WNZF sports commentator Michael Lischio Jr. tweeted: "Prayers for my #FootballCounty fam this morning. RIP"
- Devon Conkrite tweeted: "You’re such a bright soul and always had a smile on ur face. You had real goals and dreams to make it out of this place."
- Slater-Dade: "Rest easy Curtis Gray, your hopes and dreams will live through us. #LLC #StopTheViolence"
- Mrs Miley: "This young man was a good friend, teammate, a hard worker, always respectful, would be the first to give me a hug when he saw me. His life meant something. His death leaves a hole in all of our hearts. RIP Curtis!"
Further details will be released as the investigation continues.