Skip to main content
Cops Corner
Palm Coast Wednesday, May 20, 2015 4 years ago

COPS CORNER: Sticky fingers, and a green thumb

by: Jonathan Simmons News Editor

May 12

Sticky fingers, and a green thumb

8:43 a.m. — First block of Westover Lane
Larceny: A 68-year-old Palm Coast woman called the Sheriff’s Office to report that one of her geraniums was stolen from her front yard.

She’d just watered it the day before, she said. She told a deputy that she got along well with her neighbors and didn’t know who would have taken the plant. The geranium had pink flowers and was worth $15. A deputy “canvassed the area for the plant,” but didn’t find it, he wrote in a case report.

$900 worth of criminal mischief

10:18 a.m. — 200 block of St. Joe Plaza Drive
Criminal mischief: The property manager of a bank told a Sheriff’s Office deputy that someone cut wires for the property’s pump and irrigation system, located in a wooded area behind the building.

The damage had been done within the past 30 days, the manager said.

The deputy checked the damage and found that irrigation control timer cord was cut, as were the wires for the pump start relay.

“The cuts were clean, not ragged, and appeared to have been done intentionally,” the deputy wrote in a case report.

The deputy was told that the damage might have blown the irrigation control timer, and that the pump might need to be replaced, which could cost up to $900.

Theft, or a $900 mail mix-up?

3:50 p.m. — Second block Bellaire Drive
Larceny: A 26-year-old man was living in a rented room on Bannbury Lane when he ordered four automobile rims, each worth $225. They were shipped through FedEx, arrived after the man had moved, and were signed for by a current resident of the same home on Feb. 13 of this year. But the 26-year-old never got them, he told a deputy, even thought he’d been trying for months.

A deputy uploaded photos of the digital signature and delivery confirmation to an evidence database, and spoke with a current resident of the Bannbury.

The current resident, a 62-year-old woman, who said the rims had been signed for, but that her son had phoned FedEx and asked them to pick up the packages. They were gone the following day, she said, though she didn’t witness the pick-up.

The deputy went back to the 26-year-old to relay what the woman said, and the young man said FedEx had told him they’d tried to pick up the rims on three separate occasions and not been able to: On the first try, he told the deputy, FedEx was told the package “was not ready” to be taken, and the next two times, there was no answer at the home.

The case is under investigation.



Related Stories