Also in the Observer: Medical news, new businesses, promotions and awards.
The Flagler County Emergency Medical Services teams met at Florida Hospital Flagler to celebrate excellent door-to-balloon times for heart attack patients, according to a release by FHF.
Door-to-balloon time measures the amount of time between a heart attack patient’s arrival at a hospital to the time the patient receives cardiac treatment.
A 90-minute time or less is recognized as the top standard of care. In Flagler County, the average door-to-balloon time is 60 minutes or less.
“Every minute following a heart attack is absolutely critical,” Tammy Cornelius, the special procedures manager of the cardiac catheterization lab at FHF, said in a release. “Once heart muscle is damaged, it will never grow back. During a heart attack, the muscle in the heart stops working within minutes and can irreversibly die if the blocked artery is not reopened quickly.”
The community joined FHF for a physician-led seminar about peripheral artery disease (PAD) — the disease of blood vessels outside of the heart and brain — on Oct. 10, according to a release by the hospital.
Dr. Amit Nanavati, an interventional cardiologist at FHF, said this common circulatory disease causes narrow arteries to reduce blood flow to limbs, typically the legs. Untreated PAD can lead to painful symptoms and even leg amputation. In addition, patients with PAD have an increased risk of coronary artery disease, stroke and heart attack.
PAD, which is primarily caused by fatty plaque buildup in the arteries, can occur in any blood vessel.
Nanavati said smoking is “the single most modifiable factor for prevention of PAD.”
“PAD is very common in the U.S.,” he said in a release. “In fact, PAD affects the same number of Americans as cancer.”
According to Nanavati, there are nearly 11 million people with cancer in the nation. PAD affects about 8-12 million.
Europa Salon opens in Palm Coast
Europa Salon, located at 5 Utility Drive in Palm Coast, celebrated its grand opening on Saturday, Oct. 21. The salon provides hair services and treatment, color services, waxing, hand and foot treatments, beauty enhancements, and facial and body therapies.
Promotions and awards
- Dr. Thomas Joiner, who joined the medical staff at Florida Hospital Flagler as a interventional cardiologist in 2013, was named the hospital's physician of the quarter, according to a release.
- Bill Smith, the owner of WT Smith Personal Financial Services, has joined the team at Alliance Financial Partners Inc., according to a release. Smith brings 21 years of experience in financial practice to the company.
- Ana Medeiros, a specialist in residential real estate for Coldwell Banker Premier Properites, was named the top listing agent for September, according to a release.
- RE/MAX Select Professionals announced that realtor Lisa D’Aleo Gearst has joined its growing real estate franchise, according to a release. She will be featured in the Hennessey Home Team, one of the franchise’s best-producing teams.
- Realtor Sandra Lee has joined the Palm Coast office of Hallmark Properties, according to a release.